[postgis-devel] RID Enforcement

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Feb 4 16:08:05 PST 2005

I think that would be a fabulous change.
It would allow Mapserver, among others, to do a bounding box query
without having to look up the srid, which means that a missing
geometry_columns entry would not cause things to blow up that were
otherwise correctly put together.  Mind you we have 3 years of
installed base of mapserver which will continue to work the old way,
and would have to put a version check into a patched mapserver...
I wish we could just get geometry_columns to automagically update, but
sadly that remains out of reach.