[postgis-devel] RID Enforcement

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Mon Feb 7 03:02:19 PST 2005

Hi, Paul,

Paul Ramsey schrieb:
>> Maybe the best compromise would be to make SRID -1 (no SRID) a
>> special case. Allow operations between equal SRIDs, and between any
>> SRID and -1.

> I think that would be a fabulous change.
> It would allow Mapserver, among others, to do a bounding box query
> without having to look up the srid, which means that a missing
> geometry_columns entry would not cause things to blow up that were
> otherwise correctly put together.  Mind you we have 3 years of installed
> base of mapserver which will continue to work the old way, and would
> have to put a version check into a patched mapserver...

I just had a look at the source, and it seems that the SRID test is
spitted all over the source, at least in lwgeom_gist.c and lwgeom_geos.c
and with different error messages.

Maybe most of them can be caught using the same preprocessor macro (or
inline function), but some will need special treating (unite_garray
comes to mind).

Should the special casing be applied to all functions, or only to those
that do not return a geometry?

> I wish we could just get geometry_columns to automagically update, but
> sadly that remains out of reach.

At least, probe_geometry_columns() & co are very helpful tools.

Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich