[postgis-devel] RC3 build/install script bugs

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Thu Mar 3 09:20:11 PST 2005

I think that "maintainer-clean" or "maintainerclean" is the best name to
use for the make target that removes the files generated by yacc and flex.

Distclean means "go back to the way it is in the distribution" - since
we are including the yacc/flex gen'd files in the dist, this is not what
we want. distclean is primarily different from clean only in that clean
leaves the output of configure - distclean removes it.

This is based on what appears to be the info docs for make, which I
happened to find here:

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/localfiles/infofiles/make/make_118.html

`clean'
    Delete all files from the current directory that are normally
    created by building the program. Don't delete the files that record
    the configuration. Also preserve files that could be made by
    building, but normally aren't because the distribution comes with
    them. Delete `.dvi' files here if they are not part of the
    distribution.
`distclean'
    Delete all files from the current directory that are created by
    configuring or building the program. If you have unpacked the source
    and built the program without creating any other files, `make
    distclean' should leave only the files that were in the distribution.
`maintainer-clean'
    Delete almost everything from the current directory that can be
    reconstructed with this Makefile. This typically includes everything
    deleted by |distclean|, plus more: C source files produced by Bison,
    tags tables, Info files, and so on. The reason we say "almost
    everything" is that running the command `make maintainer-clean'
    should not delete `configure' even if `configure' can be remade
    using a rule in the Makefile. More generally, `make
    maintainer-clean' should not delete anything that needs to exist in
    order to run `configure' and then begin to build the program. This
    is the only exception; |maintainer-clean| should delete everything
    else that can be rebuilt. The `maintainer-clean' target is intended
    to be used by a maintainer of the package, not by ordinary users.
    You may need special tools to reconstruct some of the files that
    `make maintainer-clean' deletes. Since these files are normally
    included in the distribution, we don't take care to make them easy
    to reconstruct. If you find you need to unpack the full distribution
    again, don't blame us. To help make users aware of this, the
    commands for the special |maintainer-clean| target should start with
    these two:

@echo 'This command is intended for maintainers to use; it'
@echo 'deletes files that may need special tools to rebuild.'

Chris