[postgis-devel] probe_geometry_columns

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Tue Apr 11 09:58:09 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I've created a more robust version of the probe_geometry_columns
function. Often, during development, many spatial tables are formed and
more often than not, developers can't be bothered to religiously use the
add/dropgeometrycolumn methods when creating or dropping tables.
Unfortunately, the probe_geometry_columns does not deal with these
spatial columns (ie. CREATE TABLE mytbl (LIKE somespatialtable) .... or
CREATE TABLE mytbl AS SELECT * FROM somespatialtable...)

This version of probe_geometry_columns (that I've temporarily dubbed
populate_geometry_columns) will
   1. truncate geometry_columns
   2. using the system tables, insert all spatial columns to
geometry_columns where spatial constraints exists
   3. probe remaining columns for srid, ndims, and geotype, apply
necessary table constraints, and insert the spatial column into
geometry_columns.
   4. gracefully throw a warning if the srid/ndims/geotype values could
not be determined (ie. empty table or null geometries)

Let me know if you think this might be useful.

Cheers,
Kevin.

--
Kevin Neufeld,