[postgis-devel] Concurrent Modification and Feature Locking

Cory Horner chorner at refractions.net
Mon Jul 17 12:53:03 PDT 2006

Hi Sandro et al,

We're currently working on eliminating some bugs in the geotools postgis
plugin, for use in uDig, etc.  One problem we've encountered has been
concurrent modification of features.  In geotools we keep a transaction
alive for some time, as the user tweaks features to their heart's
content.  Unfortunately, when one user modifies a feature and keeps the
transaction open, a second user attempting to edit the same feature will
experience a lockup while they wait for the first user to either commit
or revert.

What i'm wondering is if there is a way to ask PostGIS (postgres) if a
feature is locked, or is lockable, so we may toss exceptions or
otherwise deny modification of a feature when it is not possible?

Thanks,
Cory.