[postgis-devel] Re: CVS to SVN move

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jul 24 16:55:03 PDT 2006

Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Paul,
>
> Some weeks ago, there was a discussion on the PostGIS devel list about
> moving from CVS to SVN.
>
> What's the current state of decision on this issue?

I didn't end up making a decision, because I found it so time consuming
to try and separate the repositories, and never succeeded.

> And what do you think about the possible separation of the jdbc code
> into its own project?

I am not super enthusiastic, though I understand your desire to do
independent releases, I also like having it as part of the official
distribution.  Perhaps a JDBC sub-page where extra releases could go, or
a nightly JDBC build, would be a suitable substitute for a completely
separate stream?

PL/Java w/ PostGIS may be interesting, though it may also suffer from
the same problems that PL/Java in Oracle has, namely brutal throughput
problems.  Test before you jump in too deep.

Paul