[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.1.6 / GEOS-3.0.0rc2 prerelease testing

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Nov 2 02:17:39 PST 2006

I've performed some pre-release compatibility test with postgis-1.1.6,
geos-2.2.3 and geos-3.0.0rc2 (using the new CAPI typedefs).

Here's what I tested:

	[B] : built against
	[R] : run make check against (successfully)

   (test 1)
	[BR] GEOS: 2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1
	[ R] GEOS: 3.0.0rc2-CAPI-1.3.0

   (test 2)
	[BR] GEOS: 3.0.0rc2-CAPI-1.3.0
	[  ] GEOS: 2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1

So, there seems to be no binary compatibilty problem with the CAPI.

The only issue is with compile-time WARNINGS which are usually about
const-correctness of calls. In order to fix these we'll need to use
the new typedef when availble, and to define it ourself when not available.
Still I'm afraid some warnings will remain, at least when building with
older GEOS versions, in that the old version might contain bogus const
specifications (ie: return const *pointers* rather then pointers to
const *objects*).

I'm not sure we should fix these warnings in 1.1.6, as it might expose
some other subtile bug we wouldn't introduce in a bugfix release.
What do you think ?

Also Do you have other test reports ?