[postgis-devel] Re: PostGIS datastore creation

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Sep 20 11:58:44 PDT 2006

Markus Schaber wrote:
> As long as the libraries (lwgeom, geos, proj) are installed in the
> correct pathes on the server, it is completely possible to install
> PostGIS from the client, having the postgis.sql file and the
> spatial_refsys.sql on the client.

I agree, but why would you have the correct version of the postgis.sql
file (or even any postgis.sql file) on the client? That is what I mean
by reliably. And surely you recognize that the definition of "correct
paths" is rather subjective - it's perfectly functional to install the
postgis (and other) libraries in any path at all (I might have to put it
in my home directory if I'm doing a pure user-mode install) - all that
would be reflected in the postgis.sql file... and as long as I had that
specific postgis.sql file on the remote client, then yes, it would be
possible. But I think it would be confusing and misleading to say that
anything like a "remote postgis install" was possible, considering the
very specific circumstances required.

Actually, if you have the right postgis.sql, all you need is psql to
install it. There is our installer! Just change postgis.sql to create
and switch to "template_postgis", and perhaps rename it to
"install_postgis_template.sql". Then we don't have to worry about
platforms, etc., as we can safely assume that psql is already available
to us.