[postgis-devel] PATCH: Remove GEOS C++ API from HEAD

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu May 10 06:28:30 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Here is a proposed patch to remove the GEOS C++ API support from HEAD.
The motivation for this patch is that the new curve types in PostGIS >=
1.2.0 have only been written for the GEOS C-API, rather than the
original GEOS C++ API. Hence if anyone tries to a non-CAPI version of
GEOS (<=2.2.0) with PostGIS 1.2.0 then the mysterious "has_arc" error
appears when loading lwpostgis.sql.

Since no-one is offering to maintain the PostGIS GEOS C++ API (and it
has been unused/broken since PostGIS 1.2.0) then this patch will remove
the GEOS C++ API and use the GEOS CAPI by default instead. It also
changes configure so that it spits out a helpful message and aborts if
attempting to use GEOS <= 2.2.0 to help users and packagers alike.

Since this could be considered a slightly controversial change, I've not
applied directly to the repository and have included the diff with this
email for further comment. All regression tests pass on my Ubuntu setup
running GEOS 2.2.3, so I'm fairly confident about this one. If no-one
objects by Sunday, I'll probably commit this towards the end of the
weekend.

Kind regards,

Mark.

--