[postgis-devel] PostGIS Development Roadmap

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 04:54:45 PDT 2008

Hi Magnus!

Magnus Hagander wrote:

> As the main win32 guy for the main project, +42 for that one :-) It
> also helps a lot with debugging at the end users installation.

Indeed. While there has been some interest in PostGIS development, I do
get the feeling that requiring a MingW setup is keeping some people away
from getting involved with the project :(

> Note that pgxs doesn't work with the MSVC build of the backend, because
> it relies on GNU Make and shellscrpits, IIRC.

Yes, I was aware of that. It was more a case of "while we are re-jigging
the build system for MSVC, let's drop our own hacked version of pre-PGXS
build scripts" at the same time ;)

> Have you considered systems like cmake?

Well it's something I have thought about. I don't know how well it would
hook into PGXS though since as you mention PGXS requires GNU make to
work. Now if the PostgreSQL project were to move over to CMake and
re-work PGXS to suit, that would be *very* interesting. Unfortunately I
think Peter E will fight hard against any changes along those lines :(

> Actually, the main PostgreSQL scripts have a specific regression test
> driver written in C, that can run any kind of regression tests scripts.
> It's also used by ecpg, for example. Perhaps you can use that one?

Yes, I did see those a while back. Unfortunately the regression tests
currently do different things based upon which versions of GEOS/PROJ are
installed, so if we did try and use this, there would still need to be a
pre-processing step involved. Also, the PostGIS tests fire up the
external shapefile loader and perform imports/exports of geometry data
from the server, and I don't know enough (yet) to understand how much
work would be required for the existing test harness to support this.

> These are some quick comments from a PostGIS development outsider :-)
> While I don't (currently) do any development on PostGIS, we do have a
> number of customers that are running it, thus my interest.

:) of course! Thanks for the comments...

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland