[postgis-devel] PostGIS Development Roadmap

Magnus Hagander magnus at hagander.net
Thu Apr 17 05:34:56 PDT 2008

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hi Magnus!
>
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > Have you considered systems like cmake?
>
> Well it's something I have thought about. I don't know how well it
> would hook into PGXS though since as you mention PGXS requires GNU
> make to work. Now if the PostgreSQL project were to move over to
> CMake and re-work PGXS to suit, that would be *very* interesting.
> Unfortunately I think Peter E will fight hard against any changes
> along those lines :(

Yeah, that is very true.

> > Actually, the main PostgreSQL scripts have a specific regression
> > test driver written in C, that can run any kind of regression tests
> > scripts. It's also used by ecpg, for example. Perhaps you can use
> > that one?
>
> Yes, I did see those a while back. Unfortunately the regression tests
> currently do different things based upon which versions of GEOS/PROJ
> are installed, so if we did try and use this, there would still need
> to be a pre-processing step involved. Also, the PostGIS tests fire up
> the external shapefile loader and perform imports/exports of geometry
> data from the server, and I don't know enough (yet) to understand how
> much work would be required for the existing test harness to support
> this.

The regression test driver supports "alternate output files", which
might help you there - not sure, depends on what your tests look like.

But - it will most likely still need an external driver, but it might
be a good idea to use a combination of this one and the pg_regress one
(like the main backend tests do)

//Magnus