[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] Changed bahaviourof PostGISconfuses MapServer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Dec 14 06:40:08 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 01:17:27AM -0500, Obe, Regina wrote:
> I like the idea of listing why, but slight correction.  Its not so much common to Mapserver users as common to anyone
> who uses MULTILINESTRINGS.  I think it only affects mapserver if you
> display multilinestrings,

Nope.

http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2008/12/warning-postgis-134-mapserver.html

"This bug will affect any PostGIS application that calls the ST_Multi(),
Multi(), ST_Force_Collection() and Force_Collection() functions with a
LINESTRING as an argument. Mapserver happens to have a
Force_Collection() as part of the main draw routine for PostGIS, so it
is very likely to exercise the bug."

So, anyone who is using Lines from PostGIS in MapServer will get a
crash, which I would say is relatively common.

(For the record, I've seen two users on #mapserver upgrade to 1.3.4, get
stung, and downgrade.)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt