[postgis-devel] Testing ST_LineMerge issue

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Fri Dec 19 11:07:37 PST 2008

I find that simplicity / validity is always a big topic, so I upgraded the section (with pictures and all) in the
PostGIS docs regarding the OGC's definitions.

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch04.html#OGC_Validity

To answer your question Mark, the OGC specs say that a LINESTRING is simple if it does not pass through the same point
twice.  To me, this means self-intersections and perhaps coincident vertices.  At the moment, PostGIS returns true for
this when by rights it should be false:
SELECT issimple('LINESTRING(0 0, 1 1, 1 1, 2 2)');
  issimple
(1 row)

Something to look into?  Are coincident vertices considered to be a self-intersection?

Also, Regina, I think the examples in ST_IsSimple and ST_IsValid should be clarified.  The example in ST_Simple tests
the simplicity on a polygon, even though this will always return true.  ST_IsValid tests the validity of a linestring,
even though this will always return true (except for cases when the linestring is actually a linearring ... and even
then, I believe it just tests to see if the linestring has > 2 points).

Cheers,
Kevin