[postgis-devel] Issue 89 in postgis: transform() grid-shift 2nd chance logic defective

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Dec 22 07:02:55 PST 2008

Comment #2 on issue 89 by william.... at acm.org: transform() grid-shift 2nd
chance logic defective
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=89

Mark,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Didn't really expect anyone to look at this
until 2009.
  Answers to your questions ...

1. Documentation re. new method of handling issue?  First, I noticed that
proj's
"cs2cs" utility does NOT throw an error (or even a warning) in this
situation --
rather, it simply performs the transform (which is no transform in this
case) without
the grid shift.  I then read cs2cs's relevant code and pretty much
plagiarized it for
my patch.

Three other supporting elements:

(a) lwgeom_transform.c's "2nd chance" remark in function transform_point().

(b) lwgeom_transform.c's function pj_transform_nodatum(), which does not
function as
claimed its leading comments.

(c) Very helpful remarks for rev. 1.11 in the revision history contained in
the
leading comments of proj's pj_transform.c.

2. Why not return null when the transformation is invalid?  In at least
this case,
NAD83 -> NAD27 transformation, the most useful behavior is to return an
unshifted
transformation.  I have a large table of broadcast radio station locations
-- most in
CONUS but some in Alaska and Puerto Rico; aborting processing of the whole
table
because the transformation of one or two rows will be off by a few hundred
meters is
very inconvenient, especially because the offending geometry is not
identified in the
error message (and only the first one is found before abort).

My main argument:  if proj.4 thinks it's useful to return a non-shifted
transform,
PostGIS should faithfully propagate that behavior.  With my patch, the user
is warned
of any "transient" error (proj's terminology in pj_transform.c remarks).
In this
particular case, the warning is misleading ("failed to load NAD27-83
correction file"
when the real problem is out-of-bounds input), but at least they're warned
once for
each offending geometry while still getting a useful result table.  If you
know how
to make that warning actually identify the offending point, that would be a
great
improvement.  Didn't want to press my luck given my very limited C skills.

3. Wrong diff format.  I thought I'd seen instructions for the preferred
form of
"diff," but it looks like in updating PostGIS support Web pages to point to
code.google.com, those instructions disappeared ... or at least became
impossible for
me to find.  I'm now attaching a "diff -u".

Thanks again for the quick response.  Merry Christmas!

Attachments:
	lwgeom_transform.c-1.3.3.diff  3.9 KB