[postgis-devel] Issue 31 in postgis: Negative distance buffer

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Jul 9 10:20:37 PDT 2008

Issue 31: Negative distance buffer
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=31

Comment #3 by joaofgo:
Hi!
Any progress about this issue? I've been continuously testing this
problem over more
than 20 valid datasets, and keep getting the same error/behaviour for
the st_buffer
function. Sometimes the number of non-buffered rings is quite small in
other cases
(for very large multi/polygons with hundreds of rings) is very high.

  I also found that in some cases, using simple polygons with no rings,
they don't get
negatively or positively buffered at all. I've also found differential
behaviour when
trying to buffer (+ or -) valid GEOMETRYCOLLECTIONs, MULTIPOLYGONs or
POLYGONs, and
that the last achieves the most complete results for all the geom types.

 Buffer function needs to be reviewed and some geometrical aspects of buffer
aspect/configuration/generation really need to be clarified and
improved, mainly
because it severely affects many aspects when performing spatial
analysis and
querying. I hope this helps to strengthen the case.