[postgis-devel] ST_Area, ST_Area2D

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Jul 18 07:55:20 PDT 2008

Ditto for these too?  ESRI and IBM just refer to this as ST_Length
--Docs have ST_Length2D and 3D but no ST_Length

    Returns the 2-dimensional length of the geometry if it is a
linestring or multi-linestring.

Just replace with ST_Length()?
Both ST_Length() and ST_Length2d() map to -

Now ST_Length3D() maps to LWGEOM_length_linestring

Which on closer tests - gives me the same answer as ST_Length() for a
2-d string.

Is there a reason why we can't just have a single documented

ST_Length and state it works for both 2D and 3D strings?  and in future
versions just have all 3 map to LWGEOM_length_linestring

and deprecate the 2D and 3D names?