[postgis-devel] what's the main job of lwgeom_api.c

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 03:49:02 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> If we are going to retain this duality of library / database bindings,
> would it be nicer to have them separated into different directories?
> Or maybe a more strict file naming convention?

Having just read Dave's email, I'm leaning more towards building a
static liblwgeom.a library containing all the relevant routines and
storing the files under a separate liblwgeom directory. The reason for
this is that we could then link shp2pgsql with liblwgeom.a, and thus it
should be reasonably trivial for shp2pgsql to make use of the geometry
parser.

There is also a second issue with regard to typedefs: at the moment
there are at least 3 different sets of typedefs within the code. I see
for example uint32, int4, and uint32_t being used interchangeably. This
would be a good excuse to tidy all of these up, as well as cleaning up
the parser interface which at the moment, is horrendously overcomplicated.

This will be a fairly tedious and large patch to write (much like the
debug patch), but I'm now more convinced that this is the right way we
should be thinking about this.

ATB,

Mark.

--