[postgis-devel] Devil Take the Hindmost?

Mark Leslie mark.leslie at lisasoft.com
Tue Mar 25 16:48:20 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Would it be too terrible to drop support for 7.4?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=6
>
> So many things got better with 8.X...
>
> P.

Does anyone know offhand how much longer PostgreSQL is committed to
maintaining 7.4?

It would seem to me that if they are maintaining 7.4 for a short period
of time, call it < x, then we're better off supporting it until then,
just for the look of it.  For > x, we should cut support as soon as the
support becomes significant (today perhaps?).  From my perspective, x =
1 year feels right, but it depends very much on how much development is
expected on PostGIS in that year.
I haven't done the benchmarking, but I would expect running against 7.4
would be less performant, and thus provide a lesser impression of
PostGIS.  At the same time, telling everyone to upgrade their databases
won't be received with a ticker-tape parade either.

My suggestion would be pick a date to end support.  The same time
PostgreSQL does would be ideal, but if it's too far, give it a few
months and cut a minor release at that time which explicitly prohibits
compiling against 7.4.

--
Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect