[postgis-devel] Devil Take the Hindmost?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Tue Mar 25 23:40:21 PDT 2008

Mark Leslie <mark.leslie at lisasoft.com> writes:
> Does anyone know offhand how much longer PostgreSQL is committed to
> maintaining 7.4?

There's no specific plan.

We just obsoleted 7.3, and 7.4 is about a year newer, so consistency
might suggest obsoleting 7.4 in about a year.  Whether it will actually
fall out that way is hard to say.

What's reasonable for PostGIS to support is not necessarily the same.
You guys are heavily dependent on some features like GIST indexes that
are not seen as critical by the core project.  Ron M notes nearby that
the 8.1 fixes to enable concurrent use of GIST indexes made a huge
difference to him --- so if you were to drop support for everything
older than 8.1, I wouldn't argue with you.  You should certainly be
trying to light a fire under pre-8.1 PostGIS users to upgrade.

			regards, tom lane