[postgis-devel] 1.3.4?

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Oct 2 13:19:45 PDT 2008

Regina,

On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Obe, Regina wrote:

> Paul,
> I was hoping to get in the pseudo cascade aggregate union function
> which is in general 5-10 times faster than current and completes
> where ST_Union runs out of memory.  Though that problem may have
> been remedied a bit by your memory patches.

Me too. I've run it and can't imagine what I would do without it now.
Honestly.

> I haven't had a chance to test with the new 1.3.4 changes and
> regression tests though so don't want to hold up the train.

Neither have I, so while I have to say from my perspective it would be
a _really_ useful thing (perhaps the most useful addition to my work),
more testing of course should be done.

> Then again would people prefer just waiting till we have GEOS
> Cascaded Union hopefully in 1.4 and I can just put this in wiki
> (since its implemented in plpgsql so will work just fine in lower
> versions of Postgis) as an alternative for people who have those
> issues until that time or people who just don't want to upgrade to
> the new GEOS when it first comes out?

Alas... I'll be patient. I guess at the least, knowing the most up to
date spot to get your favorite revision would be an excellent start.

Thanks!

Dane