[postgis-devel] 1.4 SVN Compile problems

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 08:40:38 PDT 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> Mark,
>
> This sounds great.  I wasn't so much concerned about package
> maintainers, but more people like me who don't want to be bothered with
> compiling
> PostgreSQL from source and get their PostgreSQL from repository but want
> the latest and greatest PostGIS which the package maintainer is usually
> one version behind or doesn't have the ideal set of Geos/Proj.
>
> Sounds like your fix will solve that issue at anyrate.
>
> Let me know when you have in place and I'll test again. For now I'm
> testing the postgis 1.3.4 SVN which compiles fine and doesn't have the
> dependency issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

All done. I had a chat with Dave (Page) at PGDay and we decided that
although it appears that PGXS should automatically install binaries into
the PostgreSQL bindir, the fact that it adds certain extra backend
dependencies into the link line means it shouldn't really be used like this.

Hence I've re-built the loader Makefile from scratch to use the new
build system, using the old 1.3 branch Makefile as inspiration. Please
feel free to re-test.

ATB,

Mark.

--