[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Back from RT_ to ST_

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Apr 6 04:54:11 PDT 2009

Havard,

Good point.  I guess I'm somewhat indifferent to this at this point though
I'm still more for the use of ST_ since I feel in the raster case they have
the same meaning as the geometry context.  If OGC had a standard for RASTER
then they would probably want ST_ since MM is for multi-media.  So if people
really feel strongly either way they should bring it up.  To throw out the
use of ST_ for things not strictly defined in the spec would mean we can’t
use it in

ST_Union(geometry[]) and possibly ST_Union(aggregate)

I'm more bothered by the fact that different spatial databases don't output
same results for  standard function signatures for things that are covered
by the standard  than I am about the overuse of ST.

The main issue I see with the overuse of ST is that it does give people the
illusion that those things are standard compliant so fuzzies things a bit,
but to me this has NOTHING to do with violation of standard.  If a person
can read the OGC standard spec and limit themselves to what the standard
says within the context of PostGIS, then I think we are following the
standard.

Then on the pro side having to remember what functions have ST and which
don't does give one a bit of a headache when you are just trying to get
something done.  So to me as long as we are clear about what functions are
standards compliant and if they are not fully how they deviate from the
standard, that is the most important thing.  I think we more or less did
that in the docs -- though could require more rework detailing caveats such
as MM vs non-MM and OGC stance on 3D etc.

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch08.html#PostGIS_SQ
LMM_Functions

Did we ever figure out what ST stands for?  I used to know.  I thought it
stood for Spatial Type.

Thanks,
Regina