[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Back from RT_ to ST_

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Mon Apr 6 06:28:53 PDT 2009

Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Did we ever figure out what ST stands for?  I used to know.  I thought it
> stood for Spatial Type.

I have thought that the ST prefix was decided in the early
stages of the SQL/MM work, when the spatial part of the
standard included a temporal object data type.
So the T in ST used to stand for Temporal.

I did a quick search, and found this substantiated in:
http://showusyourcode.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!15630F96CB7D86C1!546.entry?&_c02_owner=1?

Which refers to this paper from 2003:
http://doesen0.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/proceedings/paper/68.pdf
The paper seems to have been presented at the conference:
BTW 2003, Datenbanksysteme für Business, Technologie und Web,
Tagungsband der 10. BTW-Konferenz, 26.-28. Februar 2003, Leipzig.

There is probably more evidence out there...

Håvard Tveite