[postgis-devel] Issue 89 in postgis: transform() grid-shift 2nd chance logic defective

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Jan 9 03:47:30 PST 2009

Comment #4 on issue 89 by william.... at acm.org: transform() grid-shift 2nd
chance logic defective
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=89

Mark,

Yep, I've had exactly the problem you cite: the Ubuntu and Debian PostGIS
packages I
was using lacked the grid-shift files and I was scratching my head
wondering why my
NAD83->NAD27 transformation did nothing.  Had to build my own PostGIS to
fix it --
and that was long before I patched PostGIS for this issue.  However, I
believe my
patch provides adequate safeguards for this problem.  I believe the other
reasons I
give for the behavior I advocate are of equal or greater importance.  To
briefly
summarize them:

* My patch throws a warning, so the user knows something is wrong unless
they have
actively suppressed warnings.  (Improving that warning by identifying the
offending
geometry would be an important improvement to my patch.  I'll try to do it
if the
team doesn't have the resources to do so, though your C skills are surely
far
stronger than mine.)

* In all other cases (AFAIK), PostGIS simply "wraps" proj.4 behavior and a
knowledgeable user expects to see that behavior propagated without change.
PostGIS
does not abort transformations outside the defined grid-shift region; its
cs2cs
utility glides past this problem without even a warning.

* I'm just a newbie to cartographic grid shifts, but from reading the proj.4
documentation, I don't think that NAD27 is unusual in being defined over a
limited
region.  Anyone who's using grid shifts should know the limitations of what
they're
doing.  Thus, if they present geometries for transformation outside the
defined
region, they presumably wish to obtain the transformation in all cases,
even if it
cannot be grid-shifted.  I believe this behavior manifests the "principle
of least
surprise."

Whatever y'all decide, thanks so much for what you're doing!

-- Bill