[postgis-devel] documentation images

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Wed May 6 16:54:37 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I just committed some code that can generate most of the spatial images used in the documentation.

Before, the image_src directory contained some svg files that were "supposed" to be the source of the png images used in
the docs.  But I know of no way to import svg into PostGIS, I can't import them into JUMP to test or regenerate the svg
... they're pretty useless.

So, I wrote a small program that will parse WKT files in the same directory using the liblwgeom module.  Then, using
ImageMagick, automatically generate the png files of interest.  The advantage here, is that all the images have the same
style (fill color, line thinkness, drop shadow, etc) and can be changed just by modifying a few variables.  Because the
files are simple WKT, it's easy to modify the images or generate new ones.

It's written in C, and my C skills are still on the upward learning curve :)  Can someone who is proficient at C review
the work before I start removing images and from SVN and relying on the app for the generation of the documentation?
Since the code is currently isolated, I thought it'd be OK to submit the stuff rather have a wack of .patch files for
someone to review.

Cheers,
Kevin