[postgis-devel] CREATE LANGUAGE in postgis.sql

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Sep 22 08:59:02 PDT 2009

How about something like this

http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/archives/346-create-language-if-not-exist.h
tml

Regina

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-devel-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-devel-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Kevin
Neufeld
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:37 AM
To: PostGIS Development Discussion
Subject: Re: [postgis-devel] CREATE LANGUAGE in postgis.sql

Right.  Unfortunately, PostgreSQL doesn't have the CREATE LANGUAGE [IF NOT
EXISTS] syntax yet, so it'll have to go outside of the transaction block.

If we put the CREATE LANGUAGE command at the start of the postgis.sql file,
but outside the block, then the first thing most people will see when they
install PostGIS is an ERROR message ... could cause a lot of confusion.  It
also means one can't grep the output for ERRORs when performing automatic
installs.

... unless someone can thing of a cleaver way to query the pg_language table
for the existence of 'plpgsql' and execute the create language statement
appropriately ...

-- Kevin