[postgis-devel] Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY vs PostGIS WKT

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Aug 24 16:08:58 PDT 2010

Here's my take:

Yes, reference [2] is the best reference for the true SFS Geometry
standard.  It's an abstract standard, however.  Each implementation has
its own idiosyncracies, which can only be understood by reading the
implementation manuals (and more than likely working with the
implementation directly).

It's necessary to distinguish between the naming conventions used by
vendors, and their underlying implementations.  The naming conventions
reflect an attempt to (more or less) fulfull the requirements of the SFS
and ISO standards.  But each vendor has a different implementation,
which seeks to meet the varying marketing goals of the vendor.

Oracle's SDO_GEOMETRY type is more full-featured than is required by
SFS, which is one reason for its complexity.  Also, it uses existing
features of the Oracle Object-Relational model, which also means that
complexity is perhaps more exposed than is desirable.

ESRI recently released their own ST_GEOMETRY type for Oracle, presumably
in an attempt to both better match the requirements of their other
software products, as well as having the pleasant side effect of
"plugging the leak" of spatial data from their walled garden to Oracle's
more accessible native spatial format.

AFAICS, the Oracle ST_GEOMETRY types are provided in order to increase
compliance with the SQL/MM standard.

It's nice to hear that you find the PostGIS ST_GEOMETRY implementation
easier to work with and more standards compliant.  I think this is the
result of a phenomenon which occurs in many open-source projects. Having
no commercial agenda and limited resources means that easiest path is to
simply follow a standard as closely as possible, and to remove as many
rough edges as possible.

Martin

--
Martin Davis