[postgis-devel] Death to Pointless Operators

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 11:28:01 PST 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> These are n-dimensional indexes now.
> left/right/above/below/overleft/overright are defined on the first two
> axes, they make sense (to the extent that the make sense at all) in a
> 2d context. Should I just implement them in 2d and ignore the higher
> dimensions?
>
> P.

IMO this is the wrong approach. The correct way to do this would be to
implement a new GiST opclass for the higher dimensions which is likely
based upon the contrib/cube operators and operator class. Then users
specify at build time what dimensionality they want in the index and we
can match an existing operator class API/behaviour for migration purposes.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk