[postgis-devel] WKB types: polyhedral surface, tin, triangle

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Wed Oct 6 00:05:42 PDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Nevermind, I found it in the new "modularized" draft, along with a
> raft of questions about inconsistencies.
>
> - The WKT definition does not include a 2D version of polyhedral
> surface, but the WKB one does.

Yes it was the case for OGC SFS, never been able to found a true WKT
example.

> - All the definitions include things like PolyhedralSurfaceM. M? WTF
> does a 2-dimensional-with-measure polyhedron mean in the real world?
> use case?

Maybe no one will use it 'in the real world', you're right
But it will lead to inconsistencies to 'exclude' only this type from 3DM

> - Typo in the WKBGeometryZM entry indicates that PolyhedralSurfaceM is
> a member (rather than ZM)
>
> BTW, the numbers in the ISO draft do not match the ones you stubbed
> into liblwgeom.h, which I think means you'll generate invalid WKB for
> these entities?

If we use PostGIS internal type number for WKB geometry type, we are
invalid for everything except SFS 1.1 (i.e ZM, curves and now surfaces)

--
Olivie