[postgis-devel] ST_Equals, immutable strict

strk strk at keybit.net
Wed Sep 1 11:23:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 06:47:53AM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Agree, but its technically not a bug.  Just laziness by design.  I suppose
> we could bring it up as a feature.  I once brought up something like that to
> Tom Lane regarding function costing (with OR that it doesn't),
> and
> His argument was something to the effect "Yea I guess so" but takes more
> effort for that extra smartness for little beneift in speed.
>
> I suspect that would be the case here.
>
> Cause think about it as you said both && and _ST_Intersects are strict
> anyway -- its going to be faster when you hit the NULLS even when you inline
> it because the other functions will catch it.

I agree. It makes no sense complaining about that missing STRICT
as we don't really need it anyway. STRICT is important when you code
something in C and want to be safe assuming you won't get NULLs in.
All the little wrappers meant to be used with indexing should be
completely fine w/out STRICT.

Thanks for bearing with late-comers :)