[postgis-devel] Testing on Windows PostGIS 1RC1

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Sep 22 07:17:23 PDT 2010

Nicklas,

> I will try to do some testing this evening.  I tried yesterday on windows
but had problems with compiling postgresql 9.0I don't remember the error
message now. I will try on another > box. Regina has there been any special
things compiling 9.0 in mingw for you? I have not updated anything (have
just been glad it has worked :-)  )so maybe I should just reinstall
> mingw and everything. /Nicklas

We do use some hacks to compile against PostgreSQL 9.0 on windows  that we
don't need to do for prior versions.

That's why I said -- maybe the issues I have on Windows are not really a
good measure of what others will experience and someone needs to test on
Linux or Mac.

 1) can't get it to install without this:
sed 's,$(PERL),perl,g' <postgis/Makefile >postgis/Makefile2
mv postgis/Makefile2 postgis/Makefile

Which I documented in the PostGIS 1.5 section of

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiWinCompile

2) For some reason we can't do a make check against the MingW build of
PostgreSQL 9.0.  It always gives this error

createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  parameter "port"
cannot be changed without restarting the server

(could be because we have so many versions of PostgreSQL, but the other
versions of PostgreSQL don't have this issue)

So to get around this mess -- after make install on MingW, our script copies
the files to our Windows PostgreSQL 9.0 install and then does the

make check

For the others -- make check against the mingW builds works fine and all
checks for 8.3 and 8.4 against mingW builds pass with flying colors.

-- Mark to answer your question about the diffs in the PostgreSQL 9.0  --
they look like below - so it seems to me that the PostgreSQL 9.0 (and it
could  be some default sent in the Windows build   just providing the count
of records (more information) than what the regress is expecting.

*** wmsservers_expected	Tue Nov 17 12:23:16 2009
--- /tmp/pgis_reg_124/test_46_out	Mon Sep 20 08:54:34 2010
***************
*** 1,6 ****
  Starting up MapServer/Geoserver tests...
  Setting up the data table...
! SELECT
  NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"wmstest_pkey" for table "wmstest"
  ALTER TABLE
  Running Geoserver 2.0 NG tests...
--- 1,6 ----
  Starting up MapServer/Geoserver tests...
  Setting up the data table...
! SELECT 2343
  NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"wmstest_pkey" for table "wmstest"
  ALTER TABLE
  Running Geoserver 2.0 NG tests...

*** tickets_expected	Mon Feb  8 14:19:23 2010
--- /tmp/pgis_reg_124/test_47_out	Mon Sep 20 08:54:36 2010
***************
*** 45,51 ****
  #210b|
  #213|17