[postgis-devel] Astyle bot

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 13 21:15:15 PDT 2011

Chris,

I agree. I think it's a bit overrated and I think our code is fine even if
slightly different as long as it looks more or less consistent.  Paul and
Mark seemed the most bothered about it. It and of course we had farcical
fights over coding format before we settled on one.   Both Paul and Mark
tend to be a bit  anal about these things. :).
Strk is probably not happy because he's a space guy I think.

I think running astyle before a release is sufficient if it is really a
concern.  My diff ignores white space anyway so doesn't pose a problem for
me comparing prior code but only an issue when I try to click the tab and
some space guy had his way.

We do have an Astyle.sh in our code base, which is what I ran.  It requires
running 1.23 because I think when Olivier had formatted with 1.24 he
discovered it reastyled everything.

I normally would just use the built in one in my editor, but have no clue
what version it is compatible with and surprised why a rule of formatting
should change from version to version so much.

Perhaps we should just remove that line from the committer guidelines  and
say "Try to follow our Astyle guidelines to the best of your ability".

Thanks,
Regina