[postgis-devel] Out of DB regression tests for ST_AsGDALRaster

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun May 22 10:11:04 PDT 2011

To the extent that you can use CUnit, please do. Cunit tests are
vastly easier to debug and work with, IMO.

On the whole topic of raster image regression testing, I'm worried
about any test that tries to do things like that, because platform to
platform rasterizers give subtley different answers, even using the
same versions. MapServer is largely lacking regression tests because
of issues in trying to compare "almost the same" image outputs. I
don't want to get into the position of Mapserver where the regression
suite is not looked at (I ran it, once, and 25% of the tests failed)
by most developers because it doesn't consistently pass on different
platforms and versions. I'd rather not test the parts which are
unstable than put in tests for unstable things and have that cause us
to stop using our whole suite. Anyone anywhere should be able to check
out postgis from SVN, build and run and get 100% regression passes.
That condition must be sacrosanct.

P.