[postgis-devel] Would it be hard to write a Foreign Data Wrapper from shp2pgsql code?

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Wed Nov 30 00:43:51 PST 2011

Hallo

I have just learned about Foreign Data Wrappers in PostgreSQL.

If we would have a FDW from shapefiles or even ogr-based FDW for all ogr
formats, it would be possible to use all PostGIS functionality directly
on external files.

It could also be a way of importing data to PostGIS with the possibility
to use all PostGIS functionality in the import process.

The PostgreSQL doc how to do it is here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/fdwhandler.html

Would it be a big thing or is most of the functionality already in
shp2pgsql and/or ogr library

How much funding would be needed to get someone to do it?

Just a thought

/Nicklas