[postgis-devel] circular dependency in doc/ ?

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue Feb 28 11:22:27 PST 2012

On 12-02-28 11:03 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:20:19AM -0800, Chris Hodgson wrote:
>> Is mathml2.dtd the ONLY thing that was slowing you down strk? There
>> are many other DTDs used, eg. docbook and docbook-mathml, and I
>> thought that some of those are dependent on eachother, so really the
>> solution to this is to properly configure your system's xml catalog.
>> It seems like you're going a long way out of your way to work around
>> the pre-existing solution of the xmlcatalog.
> Indeed it's fast for me now. Could very well be I have all the
> other DTDs properly mapped. The new way doesn't replace the old
> in any way, just solves my specific situation (it seems).
> Is it giving you any problem ?
>
> Surely addin --nonet would expose the issue for anyone having it.
Honestly I haven't tried but I doubt that your solution is causing any
problems.

I guess I question the --nonet because with it, you can always build the
docs, as slow as it may be. Without it, you may not be able to build the
docs, and if you aren't aware of this workaround or aren't able to wade
through xmlcatalog hell, you may simply be unable to build the docs at
all. Though I can see the reverse argument of, if the docs build, they
must just take that long, and if you don't know of the workarounds you
just keep letting the build take forever... as opposed to, if they don't
build and you need to build them, you'll ask on the list and get the help.

So I guess I can support the --nonet as the default, would be nice if
there was an easy option to allow building without --nonet for a quick
fix - quick as in effort, not elapsed time :)

Chris