[postgis-devel] Extension Versions

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jan 8 23:53:47 PST 2012

 Paul,

> Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 1:37 AM
> To: postgis-devel at postgis.refractions.net
> Cc: Paragon Corporation
> Subject: Extension Versions
>
> Reading the HOWTO_RELEASE and looking at the versions
> referenced therein, I see:
>
> in postgis.control
>   default_version = '2.0.0.a14'
>   module_pathname = '$libdir/postgis-2.0'
>
> in postgis_topology.control
>   default_version = '2.0.0a14'
>   module_pathname = '$libdir/postgis-2.0'
>
> So, two questions:
>
> First, would it make sense to bring these files into the
> autoconf process so they simply get the versions directly
> from the Version.config file?
I was hoping someone would offer since most of the whole pgconfig stuff is
greek to me.
That works for me.

> Second, there are two version schemes above. Could we use
> stick with a three-component system, as topology.control uses?
> Third (of two), are there any downsides if we push
> Version.config up to 2.0.0a17 or some other nice high number
> and then keep on incrementing as we push out interims?
>
> I'd like to do all of the above it it won't destroy things.

Drats that was a typo (corrected) -- they both follow the 2.0.0a14 format.

I was thinking that the whole a14 etc thing can go.  And when we finally
release tagged releases they would follow

2.0.0alpha1  or 2.0.0alpha01  etc.

Take your pick.  I would just need to add a final migration path to take a
user from the last

.a1..  to alpha1 or whatever versioning scheme name we want.

Right now all the upgrade scripts are pretty much copies of each other so I
just create them as a convenience
as people could easily copy one name it e.g

postgis-2.0.0a14--2.0.0alpha01

to bring themselves up to the first alpha.

Thanks,
Regina