[postgis-devel] pt_br docs

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Oct 12 00:08:41 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 08:07:02PM -0300, George Silva wrote:
[...]
> Now a bit about the experiencie:
>
> It's not easy to translate like that. gettext has some special tips and
> tricks, but my guess is that once you learn them it becomes quite simple.
>
> How would we do it in the case of an update? Imagine that we add a section
> to the introduction. Whenever you generate the messages again, I'll only
> have an extra blank message, correct?

You can check it yourself running "make update-po" from the doc/ dir
This will eventually call msgmerge, which tries to find a match between
the old text and the changed text and tags it in output with the
keyword "fuzzy". For example, this snippet:

 #. Tag: title
 #: introduction.xml:21
 #, no-c-format
 msgid "Project Steering Committee"
 msgstr "ComitĂȘ Diretor do Projeto"

Becomes:

 #. Tag: title
 #: introduction.xml:21
 #, fuzzy, no-c-format
 msgid "Project Steering Committee !"
 msgstr "ComitĂȘ Diretor do Projeto"

After the text in introduction.xml is changed to add the esclamation mark
_and_ "make update-po" is called again.

So you'd basically only look at "fuzzy" to know what needs to be re-checked.

> Some people told me about transifex (https://www.transifex.com/). It's an
> application that helps us translate these messages (you get a % number,
> mark translations as safe, etc).
>
> Perhaps we should look into it?

Is the "fuzzy" tag what you were looking for ?
Give it a try once you have the setup working.
We could also look at pootle to put a translation service online
(web based gettext .po files editor).

PS: (for robe, mostly)
    "make update-po" sometime also reveals troubles with the original,
    for example it detects that ``make comments`` is sometimes found
    in a <command> tag, and some other time in a <variable> tag.

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net