[postgis-devel] ST_Simplify vs ST_SimplifyVW

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jun 3 13:34:14 PDT 2015

> What I think about is if we should have a table also oncluding
ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology describing the differences, and if so, where in
the doc should that be?

> Thanks

> Nicklas

I'm just going t opinionate on this one since I haven't thought much about
the other questions you asked, nor really looked at the differences of each.

Yes we should have a table describing the differences.

Since simplification is often used for performance reasons -- e.g. make
intersects less costly, or for reducing weight sending over the wire, I
would put the table somewhere in this section:

http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/performance_tips.html

Create a whole new section in fact on the topic of simplification describing
use cases, and detailing the different functions (not 4 really if you
include ST_EffectiveArea)  and how they differ.

Then all the different functions, can link back to the topic in this
section.

Thanks,
Regina