[postgis-devel] ST_Simplify vs ST_SimplifyVW

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Wed Jun 3 13:44:37 PDT 2015

Having different simplification functions is cool thing to play with!

It's strange, however, to get non-simplified output from simplifying
function. 0 as epsilon is commonly used to remove duplicated points or
points on overnoded datasets - I assume that s/Simplify/SimplifyVW/g in my
scripts shouldn't change semantics at all?..

Also consider adding ST_Buffer(ST_Buffer(ST_Buffer(geom, -eps), 2*eps),
-eps) as an option to the list - ST_Simplify for a polygon alone doesn't
make it look good on ultra-low-zoom renderings.

> > What I think about is if we should have a table also oncluding
> ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology describing the differences, and if so, where in
> the doc should that be?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Nicklas
>
> I'm just going t opinionate on this one since I haven't thought much about
> the other questions you asked, nor really looked at the differences of
> each.
>
> Yes we should have a table describing the differences.
>
> Since simplification is often used for performance reasons -- e.g. make
> intersects less costly, or for reducing weight sending over the wire, I
> would put the table somewhere in this section:
>
> http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/performance_tips.html
>
> Create a whole new section in fact on the topic of simplification
> describing
> use cases, and detailing the different functions (not 4 really if you
> include ST_EffectiveArea)  and how they differ.
>
> Then all the different functions, can link back to the topic in this
> section.
>

> Thanks,
> Regina

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski