[postgis-devel] [postgis-tickets] r14592 - Patch from Sebastiaan Couwenberg to fix test_wkb_out_point failure on hppa & mips.

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jan 12 16:43:41 PST 2016

Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> Author: robe
> Date: 2016-01-12 16:36:35 -0800 (Tue, 12 Jan 2016)
> New Revision: 14592
>
> Modified:
>    branches/2.2/liblwgeom/cunit/cu_out_wkb.c
> Log:
> Patch from Sebastiaan Couwenberg to fix test_wkb_out_point failure on hppa & mips.
> references #3426

I'm a little surprised at changes going onto the release branch without
first being on trunk and having review and then getting cherrypicked
onto the release branch.

> +/* parisc and mips (at least some processors) have a different nan representation from other arches. */
> +#if !defined(__hppa__) && !defined(__mips__)
> +# define nan_val( v1, v2)  v1
> +#else
> +# define nan_val( v1, v2)  v2
> +#endif

This seems quite awkward.  It would seem the tests should be grounded in
the standards (presumably postgis requires IEEE754 to start and doesn't
work on the vax :-).  Isn't there some way to start with a nan expressed
as a double, and then to convert that to a sql representation?  Or to
write an "isnan_wkb" function that takes the string/hex representation,
extracts a double, and then uses the C99-specified isnan(3) procedures.
Encoding of IEEE754 values into hex and having them in the tests seems
nonrobust, and it seems extra fragile to have switches by arch.