[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Aug 30 01:48:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 01:19:03AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:

> That is, if you have 9.4 + 2.2 and 9.5 + 2.3, pg_upgrade will refuse to
> run because it's looking in the 9.5 version for the 2.2 .so file and not
> finding it.  Users have to first upgrade to 9.4 + 2.3 and then run
> pg_upgrade to get to 9.5 + 2.3.

But pg_upgrade makes NO ATTEMPT at every running an ALTER EXTENSION,
correct ? That means that *even* if you have a 2.2 .so file under 9.5
you might still be left with half-broken PostGIS (ie: scripts not
using 9.5 only features).

That's why I'm suggesting that pg_upgrade could improve its checking
(since it does implement part of it).
Or allow dropping the initial check (as I think you can still run
ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE while missing the old .so file, right?)