[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 14:12:00 PDT 2017

On 04/09/17 16:48, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 12:44 -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
>> If PostGIS 2.3 worked fine out of the gate with minimal changes to support
>> PostgreSQL 10, I wouldn't be so against supporting PostGIS 2.3 on PostgreSQL
>> 10.
>
> Sorry for hijacking the thread, but (as we discussed several times before), if
> 2.3 can be just "compiled" against 10, that would be enough for us. It does not
> mean PostGIS 2.3  will support PG 10, it will just make my user base happy,
> because they will be able to upgrade.

My reading of the thread Regina posted on -hackers was that pg_upgrade
exists purely to translate the on-disk format between versions and
nothing else, so I don't think we're going to get much traction there.

The other particularly evil thought that occurred to me was do you need
to have a real PostGIS 2.3? What if you were to generate a compatibility
postgis-2.3.so with empty stub methods - would that be enough to be able
to remove the extension post-upgrade and then install the new version?

ATB,

Mark.