[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Sep 4 11:25:48 PDT 2017

> Hi,

> On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 12:44 -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
>> If PostGIS 2.3 worked fine out of the gate with minimal changes to
>> support PostgreSQL 10, I wouldn't be so against supporting PostGIS 2.3
>> on PostgreSQL 10.

> Sorry for hijacking the thread, but (as we discussed several times before), if
> 2.3 can be just "compiled" against 10, that would be enough for us. It does not mean PostGIS 2.3  will support PG 10, it will just make my user base happy, because they will be able to upgrade.

> Regards,
> --
> Devrim G nd z
> EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com PostgreSQL Danismani/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
> Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

Devrim,

If it's simply to pg_upgrade, can't you just add a symlink as what Darafei outlined?

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2017-August/026324.html

Regardless of how they upgrade, they are still going to have to know enough to do

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

Otherwise they are not running PostGIS 2.4.0.

As I said I'm leaving it up to Paul to release a PostGIS 2.3 for PostgreSQL 10 if he feels it that necessary.
I 'm personally not going to waste effort doing so as I think it gives people a false sense of confidence.

Thanks,
Regina