[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3 thought experiment

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Wed Jan 17 11:35:24 PST 2018

Hello

Always nice to get visions of the future :-)

I would like to see functions get precision/tolerance aware.
If users are aware of the accuracy of their data set they have no need
to store the data with full double precision.

So I would like to see the possibility to store data natively in
PostGIS in something similar to TWKB, and then use the data in
functions that can handle the reduced precision. So if I have a data
set with accuracy of 1 cm, I store it with 2 decimals and get 2
decimals back from area calculations.

And a point on my 2 decimal line will intersect if it is closer than 1
cm from the line

and so on.

BTW, what is "Modern C"

/Nicklas