[postgis] Error in creating WKBPolygon by Postgis in Cygwin PostgreSQL

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Wed Aug 15 09:41:07 PDT 2001

Hisaji ONO wrote:
>   I've got the following errors for.Error in creating WKBPolygon from
> WKTMultiPolygon, created by shp2pgml,  by PostGis 0.5.1 in Cygwin PostgreSQL
> 7.1.2 on WinNT Server 4.0 SP6a (Memory 256MBytes).
>
> > #create table ku2 as select * from ku;
> > #alter table ku2 add column geo2_val wkb;
> > # update ku2 set geo2_val = asbinary(geo_value,'NDR');

> > ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(169026186)
> > ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(169026186)

That probably because you're not supposed to actually use the 'wkb' as a
type in columns.  I only created it to 'tag' the wkb so it could be
recognized.  Its basically the same as the TEXT type (4 byte size
header, then a chuck of data).  I'll look into the WKB type and see if I
can spruce it up for actual use in tables.

>  After above result, nothing created in new wkb column.
>
> And I also have troubles in creating WKBPoint from WKTPolygon. No error
> message, but created WKB contained only 0x010180s (01 = little endian, 01 =
> WKBPoint, 80=?).

I'm following Frank's WKB spec for 3d points.  The '80' means that its a
3d geometry, so you can expect 3 coords for each point.  If you want
openGIS spec WKB, you'll have to do a force_2d() on the geometry.

dave