[postgis] Next Level Redux

Rob Hranac robhranac at vfny.org
Thu Aug 16 14:02:22 PDT 2001

I think this is a great diagram and gives a very accurate read on the
situation.  It looks like Vision For New York (and I) will undertake the
development of the Web Feature Server portion of this (likely in Java),
starting in about a week or two (as soon as we are officially an OpenGIS
member and I finish our new site).  My general impression is that this is an
unfulfilled niche, but if I am stepping on toes or duplicating here, let me
know.  I like to work and play well with others!  Social Change Online (that
Aussie co.) claims to have developed a Servlet that an extremely crude start
to this that I will likely work with.

I imagine an openWFS eventually serving as a fully transactional abstraction
layer for lots of data formats, but starting with read-only PostGIS formats.
So, I think, ultimately, the goal is slightly more all-encompasing than in
the diagram, but similar, starting out.  If anyone has any comments or
suggestions, of course, I am all ears.  I have lots of time and a reasonable
amount of experience/skills to do this, but am always interested to hear
from the collective wisdom of Canadians (and others).  I will let people
know when I have something real (or even vaporous) to show for this.

Rob