[postgis] Next Level Redux

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Aug 16 14:30:57 PDT 2001

Thrills and chills :)

Rob Hranac wrote:
> I think this is a great diagram and gives a very accurate read on the
> situation.  It looks like Vision For New York (and I) will undertake the
> development of the Web Feature Server portion of this (likely in Java),
> starting in about a week or two (as soon as we are officially an OpenGIS
> member and I finish our new site).  My general impression is that this is an
> unfulfilled niche, but if I am stepping on toes or duplicating here, let me
> know.

I have not heard of an open-source WFS as yet, but I will wait for
confirmation from Frank before assuming :)

> I imagine an openWFS eventually serving as a fully transactional abstraction
> layer for lots of data formats, but starting with read-only PostGIS formats.

Definately a complete abstraction is a nice end goal. Good modular
design will make all of this easier, of course. One thing I will be
looking at pretty early on (once you have built the framework :) is
putting OracleSpatial in there. Open interfaces to proprietary data
sources will help the general ecology of free software. I wonder if
there is a Java interface to SDE? If not a JNI connection could be used,
it would just be less pleasant. Doing the transactional stuff for
file-based data will be fairly tricky, I would guess, particularly in a
write-heavy environment.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: pramsey at refractions.net
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KYe3qC/I56CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM