[postgis] Re: ESRI client

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Mon Aug 27 10:35:20 PDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> The best would be if there was an OLE DB provider implemented for PostgreSQL
> that we could hack in spatial support to.

I think the postgresql ODBC driver is an old db provider.  I've been
playing with VB, and I can connect to postgresql/postgis via ODBC and
ADODB.  You have to set the ODBC driver so it doesnt chop data at 254
characters.

If you dont want to parse WKT at the client end, you could send the WKB
data as normal text by Base64 encoding it.  I havent looked at the ODBC
binary data columns yet.

dave
ps. Where can we get more ESRI info on all this?  I tried looking
through all their online documentation, but there's so much that says
absolutely nothing.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KYe3qC/I56CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM