[postgis] Re: ESRI client

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 27 09:19:05 PDT 2001

Folks,

The ArcGIS Service Pack 2 (hopefully released circa October) will include
support for adding an OLEDB data source to a project in much the same way you
can do with datasources from SDE.  If we implement an OLEDB interface to
PostGIS we would have a reasonable level of (readonly) PostGIS access.

I have implemented an OLE DB provider on top of OGR, and with some fine
tuning of the existing OGR/PostGIS binding we should be able to offer a fairly
efficient OLEDB provider built on PostGIS (with OGR as middleware).

The best would be if there was an OLE DB provider implemented for PostgreSQL
that we could hack in spatial support to.

As for ESRI flaming. I have had a love/hate relationship with ESRI for many
years (mostly hate), but they have been very cooperative working with me on
the OLE DB interface stuff.  While it has taken lots of pressure over the
years, I think ESRI is opening up data interfaces based on standards to
at least a limited degree.  Not much more can be said for the other big GIS
vendors.

Best regards,

DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/VihfLB/nT7CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM