[postgis] The Next Level

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Jul 26 15:01:18 PDT 2001

Gentlepeople:

We here at Refractions have been discussing how to take PostGIS to the
"next level" as a spatial database, and the general consensus is that a
few things are needed:

  a) add most/all of the OGC Simple Features Spec (union,
     intersection, xor, etc)
  b) bundling of binaries (RPM, WIN32 Setup) for easy install
  c) full install / tutorial documentation to go with
     bundled software
  d) client access by some kind of viewer/editor tool
     commercial or otherwise

The other consensus we have reached is that we cannot afford to do all
that stuff and still stay in business. Fortunately, we are in Canada,
and there is a program called 'GeoInnovations' which will fund up to 50%
of certain kinds of geomatics R&D projects. Unfortunately, even with 50%
funding we cannot afford to procede with the kind of PostGIS project
outlined above. So, we are looking for a partner (or partners) to join
in a proposal to GeoInnovations willing to take on 30% of the project
cost, or about $35,000CA. A company or agency which wants to see an
open-source SFSQL database. If anyone on the list knows of (or is) such
a company or agency, your help in putting us together with them would be
most appreciated.

Let me close by saying that PostGIS will remain an open GPL project, and
will continue to be developed (albeit a good deal more slowly)
regardless.

Sorry to polute the list with non-technical stuff, but I figured it was
better to turn every stone than find out later of a missed opportunity.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey